RE: [TCML] Choosing secondary coil form size

I think that the optimal secondary size may often be larger than what's considered "traditional".  My 4/20 NST-powered mini coil benefited significantly when going from a 2" to a 4" diameter secondary (gap, cap, topload, and NST unchanged).  It may be the bigger secondary forces a lower operating frequency, and/or the comparably higher Lpri results in lower gap losses.  Whatever the underlying cause, I think that bigger is almost always better, and would not recommend less than a 6".  Just don't skimp on the top load.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA