From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of bartb
Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2008 10:03 PM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] RF Ground and Brass

Hi Gary,

There can be several amps on the secondary base current to ground (much
higher than the currents in the secondary which diminish over length)
and in some coils too high for 18 awg if it was a continuous current.
However, this current is time dependent, so I agree that smaller wire
size can be used.

I run 18 awg hv wire from the base to a terminal point (about 12"
length). From the terminal point to RF ground I use 6 awg high strand,
about 1 meter length. I haven't noticed the 18 awg getting warm, so I'm
sure the small length from base to terminal is fine. Like everything
else, if after running, a coiler finds the base current wire warm, then
it's time to go bigger (thermal losses are never good). But if it's at
ambient temp then "all is good".

BTW Gary, I received my fiber optic cable and voltage converters today.
So hopefully I can get this bps measurement going soon. Just need to
proto up a simple circuit and I should be off and running (hoping for
this weekend).

Take care,
Bart

Lau, Gary wrote:
Hi Scott,

I think folks often go overboard with unnecessarily large RF ground cables and
connections.  It's important to remember that the actual RMS current in these
conductors is very small.  It may be useful to use a fat conductor for portions that
are very long, as a means of minimizing conductor inductance, but I'm not even
sure that this is critically important.  Minimizing the total conductor length to the
ground rod(s) is probably the most useful point.  But for a couple feet or less from
the secondary base to a central tie-point, it's pointless to use anything heavier than
simple stranded #14 or #18AWG - it only needs to be heavy enough to not be
fragile.  Same with the connection to the NST, Terry filter, and strike rail.  I don't
think copper vs. brass makes any difference for the ground connection, but since
wire is typically copper, I would use that.
The secondary base connection method advocated in the COILBUILD documents
is silly.  These are very old documents and in need of revision.  Trying to secure a
copper strap ground conductor to a copper plate, both subject to surface oxidation,
with a rubber band, sounds like a very poor and unreliable connection.   I use a 1/4-
20 screw connection to each end of the secondary, as both a mechanical and
electrical connection.  See http://www.laushaus.com/tesla/secondary.htm  If you
don't have access to press-fit threaded inserts, there are other ways using common
hardware.
Your EMI filter hookup sounds correct.  My thoughts on the topic are at
http://www.laushaus.com/tesla/emifilter.htm.
As for surge protectors in a power strip, I've always wondered whether they are
attempting to protect against differential (hot to neutral) spikes, or common mode
(ground to hot & neutral) spikes.  IMO, common-mode spikes are more likely, so
I've added a couple of MOV's inside of my Variac case from hot & neutral to
ground.
Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA