Re: [TCML] RF Ground and Brass

In a message dated 3/5/08 9:55:23 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Gary.Lau@xxxxxx writes:

>I'm curious how you came to noting several Amps of secondary base  current.
On what size/power
>coil?  Are you talking about peak or RMS Amps?

In Dan McCauley's "DRSSTC II" book, he shows  simulation predictions of
secondary base current of ~8A peak, and measured of  ~5A peak. These are of
sinusoids in 300uS square-ish pulse envelopes at 100  bursts per second. I can't do
the math on that one, but it seems to me that it  works out to "a lot less than
1 amp RMS continuous". This on a 1kW coil.

>On my 15/60-powered coil, I once placed a small flashlight bulb in  line
with the secondary base, and
>I think it only registered a modest glow (though my recollection is  also
dim).

    That's an interesting test!

>   I recall that Terry Fritz
>(in a post dated 7-21-2000) had measured his base current, also  with a
15/60 NST, as 350mA RMS.

    If we were passing 10A RMS through our secondary  bases, the typical 6"
coil wound with ~ 25ga wire would probably self-destruct  very quickly!

    It *does* seem a bit silly to splice a piece of  10ga THHN to a the
bottom of two thousand feet of 25ga like it's going to make  a difference!
    If nothing else, 10ga is much more visible in the  dark and therefore
less likely to be tripped over, with disastrous  results...

-Phil LaBudde
Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities