Re: [TCML] RF Ground and Brass

In a message dated 3/6/08 1:09:13 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
Gary.Lau@xxxxxx writes:

>Perhaps the results may depend upon how close the primary coil is  to the
secondary base,
>determining whether or not there would be arcing there.  It  does seem a
little hard to swallow that
>disconnecting the base would show NO difference in performance and  no
extraneous arcing.

>There is a capacitive path between the secondary base and the  primary.  If
there is a poor direct
>path from the secondary base to RF ground, the capacitive path to  the
primary, NST, and ultimately
>to the mains will be used.  The quality of one's RF ground is  a continuum;
if one has a "perfect"
>ground connection to the secondary base, then there would be no  current in
the capacitive path.  If
>one has a "pretty good" RF ground, the secondary base voltage will  still be
non-zero and there will
>be some capacitive coupling to the primary, NST, and mains.   The worse the
quality of the RF
>ground, the more coupling will occur to the primary and out to the  mains.

>Unfortunately, no one has devised a means of quantifying how much  RF gets
coupled into the
>mains, so everyone (myself included) simply reports "I use X ground  rods
and Y cable and it works
>just fine".

I agree 100% with your statements!

>You have inspired me to do some experiments.  With my 4/20  NST-powered mini
coil, I'll try various
>secondary base connections, ranging from no connection (if it doesn't  arc),
to a long and lazy piece
>of #42AWG lying insulated above the basement floor, to a copper  ribbon tied
to the water main in my
>basement.  I'll report maximum spark length; unfortunately I  have no means
to gauge mains hash.
>This will be interesting - I don't recall ever hearing of such an
experiment!!

    Again, I agree! The results would be a  valuable addition to the data
already on your Website.
    And if you find #42 works fine, it's one less thing  for all of us to
worry about!

-Phil LaBudde
Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities