From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of bartb
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2008 9:48 PM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] Toroid size

Hi Jim,

It's not that the cap is too big. It's the fact that the cap size will
resonate with the transformer and cause the output voltage to go "very
high" which is termed "resonant rise". These high voltages can overcome
the caps standoff voltage or the transformers insulation causing a short
in the high voltage windings. Thus, we tend to increase the cap size
until we are out of resonance to keep the voltage down around the
transformers rated output voltage. If the transformer and cap can handle
this voltage, then fine. But if it's an NST, it will usually fail.

I can't say why your getting only 2 foot arcs without some more info.
Spark lengths for power input to the coil is very dependent on the
losses between input to output. The biggest area for losses is the spark
gap. What type of spark gap do you have running?

Bart