Re: [TCML] RF Grounding

Hi Scott;

I agree. The 'solvent vapors' were actually Richards words, not mine. I
was curious though because I've built many secondary coils of various
sizes and have had good luck using plain old GE silicone RTV from the home
improvement store for the baffles and end caps. To date I've never lost a
secondary coil yet (knock, knock, knock) which is at least partly due more
to the presence of the baffles rather than the kind of adhesive I used to
mount them.

I guess what I was really asking is; Is there something better out there
than common RTV (such as the electrical grade RTV which you mentioned)? I
used to make crude plasma displays (Devil's Furnace?) from those 2 gallon
pickle jars. I sealed the screw-on lid with common RTV but the acetic acid
would cloud the glass on the inside as it cured. This list is an excellent
way to discover who's doing what with what, what works, what doesn't and
so on. I couldn't count the money I've saved by learning from others
who've been there, done that.

Thanks,

Daniel

"huil888" <huil888@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx
03/08/2008 04:16 PM
Please respond to
Tesla Coil Mailing List <tesla@xxxxxxxxxx>

cc

Subject
Re: [TCML] RF Grounding

Daniel -

Actually, RTV silicone sealants don't release any "solvents" during
curing,
but most of the more common "household" grades of silicone caulking
componds
and sealants do release acetic acid vapors as a by-product of curing. This

is why they have a distinct acetic acid smell, like vinegar, once they
start
curing. It is possible that the acetic acid residue is what caused Richard

Q's problem long ago, although I don't recall if his problem was arcing
inside the secondary coilform.

There are special RTV silicone sealants that do not release acetic acid.
Electronic-grade silicone sealants like General Electric RTV-162 release
alcohol during curing, which evaporates without leaving any conductive
residue. There are also special automotive silicone sealants that are
labeled as "safe for catalytic converters"; they also do not release
acetic
acid.

I seem to recall that someone else (long ago) had a secondary that
actually
caught on fire because of internal arcing that ignited trapped solvent
vapors from the PVC solvent-type glue that he used to attach end caps or
seal internal baffles.

I've always just used the electronic-grade RTV sealents to secure internal

baffles, and never had any problems with internal arcing, trapped solvent
vapors igniting, etc.

Regards,
Scott Hanson