From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of bartb
Sent: Saturday, March 08, 2008 9:34 PM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: [TCML] BPS Testing

Hi Gary, All,

I started some preliminary bps testing (mainly to see how light capture
would perform).

Fiber optic cable is fed from gap (between two electrodes) and ran into
the house to my desk where I have a little circuit (light to voltage
converter). Real simple. Just a 5V regulator to the chip and the output
from chip to the data acquisition analog input. This method clearly
works very well and no problems. The light to voltage converter puts out
a 0V to 4V signal depending on light intensity.

I set the sample rate at 10000 and captured about 3 seconds of run time.
Thus, a sample is taken every 0.0001 seconds. In the data, even the time
the arc continued may have 1 to 3 data points, but those are easily
distinguishable as the samples are right next to each other (denoted by
the voltage value).

Here's a screen capture of the waveform browser for a small range:
http://www.classictesla.com/temp/staticgapbps1.gif

Here is a dump of the csv file (several thousand rows of data).
http://www.classictesla.com/temp/gap2.CSV

Here is a cleaned up view identifying the breaks and their relative time
stamp. Here I got rid of all the off times and used one break at any
point where the arc had more than one sample.
http://www.classictesla.com/temp/gap2b.xls

My total gap time was 2.89526 seconds and there are 432 breaks that
occurred in that time frame. So, bps ends up at 148.  Now what is
strange is due to the 10.6kv/200mA transformer and the voltage I was
running, I calculated bps should be higher at near 200.

So, I think I'm going to replace this modified NST with a standard NST
(I have a 15/30 on hand) and run the test again.

Take care,
Bart