From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of bartb
Sent: Wednesday, March 12, 2008 9:35 PM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] BPS Testing

Hi Gary,

Lau, Gary wrote:
As I had mentioned, I had measured the NST's short circuit current and found it
to be not far from the faceplate rating of 60mA (I don't recall the exact number).
Low voltage side (primary?) short circuit current???  I don't think that winding
resistance measurements would indicate much.  I have not tried measuring the
open-circuit voltage as I have no reason to suspect that it differs significantly from
the faceplate rating.
Well, then it's certainly a 60mA unit. I like to measure my NST's data
as much as possible to know what I'm working with, especially for these
type of situations. Winding resistance does tell us impedance
information, although it doesn't change a lot from the face place
equated impedance (but a little). Gerry Reynolds helped iron out the NST
impedance with Javatc allowing users to measure winding resistances
(which almost everyone can easily do) and helps get just a little closer
to reality.

Today I looked at the nearest break to break occurrence with my 15/60
test. The break occurred 1.1ms after the quench of the first break. This
would require a 400mA continuous charge to get back up to the arc
voltage in order to break 1.1ms later. That just seems much to ask from
an NST and I'm not sure ferro resonance will do that (maybe). I know
ferro resonance causes extreme voltages in cables and equipment, but
there is usually a good reason for it (it's just not that easy to find
the reason and that's where it gets difficult). Transformer saturation
is one of those situations that can cause it.

I also looked at the entire 12.7 second measurement data today and
counted number of "soon after" breaks. I don't have the info in front of
me, but it was something like 83 occurrences. If I removed those 83 from
the total 998 breaks during that period, bps equated to 72. There is
something here that's real. It shows that charge time of caps up to the
firing voltage is as it should be, but there are these series of breaks
that occur soon after for some reason (either ferro resonance or
possibly a partial discharge and then re-ignition). It has to be one of
those two reasons.

Looking forward to your 140VAC measurements!

I'm looking forward to it also.

Take care,
Bart