Re: [TCML] BPS Testing

In a message dated 3/13/2008 7:36:52 A.M. US Eastern Standard Time,
Gary.Lau@xxxxxx writes:

Hi John,

>> Gary, when you depotted the NST, did you  disassemble the
>> core and slide the straight core off of the  laminated frame?
>> Or did you leave the core intact and just soak it  to clean it?

>I'm sure that I completely removed the core from the  windings when I
depotted it.  But I have very little >recollection of  the core geometry.  I'm still
kicking myself for not taking photos, but  that was before I >got my first
digital camera.  I don't recall having  any trouble getting the core tightly
reassembled, so the >laminations (with  integral shunts) may have been riveted or
welded together into two separable  >assemblies.  It sounds like your
laminations were individually  loose?

Gary,

My laminations were riveted, but I removed the rivets which was not  easy.
I did this because otherwise I was not able to disassemble the core, for
whatever
reason.  But anyhow I was suggesting that since you  disassembled your
core, and even though it went back together tightly, maybe there's  some
sort of change in performance as a result of the re-assembly.  I  don't know.

I'm thinking this may explain the super-power of your NST.  And  my
15/60 also drew 25 amps after re-assembly, but I'm not sure what it
drew before repotting.  However my 12/30 didn't seem to change  much
as a result of re-potting.

Cheers,
John

Regards, Gary Lau