RE: [TCML] strike rails

A strike rail must be an open loop.  If it were a closed loop, it would be like a shorted turn of a coil that is tightly coupled to the primary, and would rob a lot of power.

Bear in mind that the use of strike rails, at least on spark-gap coils, is controversial.  The presence of a rail will attract sparks from the top load and likely reduce the maximum length of spark attainable.  And if you also use a Terry filter and safety gap, it's not clear that any harm will come to the NST or tank cap even if there is a primary strike.  Solid state and tube coils however are a different matter.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA