Re: [TCML] Pig SISG: Destroying the Indestructible

Cool!

It does sound like a streamer hit. It would do that kind of damage. The SIDACs either died from the strike or it confused the section enough to go bad. Once the SIDAC is gone, the IGBT has no protection and the opposite is also true.

Great work there!!

Terry

FIFTYGUY@xxxxxxx wrote:
Further damage report:
Today I swapped out the bad SISG4 board with the one I had ben keeping for a small Twin project. All components were the same, so I just took out the two terminal screws, broke loose the mounting silicone, and dropped the new one in place. Easy! When I examined the bad board from all sides, I realized another SIDAC had bit the dust - the one on the "bottom" of the stack of three in that section. It didn't look that bad until I poked it, and realized its tab was loose as well. I shoulda figured one of the other SIDACs was dead - the heat from the blasted-open middle SIDAC blistered the solder on the tabs of the two on either side. Although the IGBT looked fine, I put a ohmmeter across the section and read a dead short. So I took the IGBT out, and sure enough the collector-emitter resistance is very zero (with a DMM, leads in either direction). Interestingly enough, the resistance from C-G and E-G is 10 ohms, again leads either direction. And yet there's no visible external indication that there's anything wrong with it. Anybody wanna buy a used IGBT, as-is? ;) So far, the total is two SIDACs, the 24V TVS, and the IGBT all dead in that section. And the coil still worked fine! -Phil LaBudde
Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities

**************Create a Home Theater Like the Pros. Watch the video on AOL Home. (http://home.aol.com/diy/home-improvement-eric-stromer?video=15?ncid=aolhom00030000000001)