Re: [TCML] laminations

I stand corrected.... as in solid I suppose I should have said homoginious non laminated core :)

SD

Ed Phillips wrote:

Hey Neal,

actually its not simple physics, if it was it would be in the standard hi school textbook :) laminated cores reduce the effect known as eddy currents which become a problem in solid core transformers ( and the only solid core ones Ive seen are for RF usage)."

The "solid" cores for RF usage aren't - they consist of either finely divided iron particles embedded in an insulating matrix or else are made of ferrite materials which have such a high resistivity that eddy current loss is negligible.

Ed