Re: [TCML] bipolar coil

Good point! I agree. This 2.375" diameter secondary doesn't need 150mA. That's a huge amount of power for such a small coil. Use at least a 4" secondary or larger for 1350VA power.

The fact that the coil is this small will make primary tuning that much more difficult (very little inductance per coil). Move the tap 3" can cause a huge shift in resonant frequency. This is starting to sound like a problematic coil, but good to realize ahead of time.

Kris, is it too late to advise against this coil size? Have you already gone ahead and wound the coils or are you only in design mode? Unfortunately, often the coiler has built parts before asking. Hope this isn't one of those moments.

Bart

Hi

Just my most humble opinion, but that is an awful lot of power for such small coils. I would think a single 9x30 would be quite adequate, a single 9x60 at the most.

later
deano