Re: [TCML] bipolar coil

Hi John,

Your spark lengths are good for say 3" or larger diameter coils, but this coil will suffer. It's simply small and that is a big problem with spark lengths. It seems there is a point (and I would put that point value starting below 3") where spark length decreases for the same power input. I agree that a 9/30 would be fine for this coil. But spark lengths will likely be well below 35". More like 20" to 25" at best. I "suspect" energy storage capacity is partially why (there are limits, and h/d & size literally strangle the output). That's my message. Granted a couple coilers have made small coils work ok, but still, the majority of small coil performance I've seen says "build a bigger coil".

Just my opinion.
Bart

Deano,
That's a good point. Even a 9x30 should give 35" sparks
between the two toroids.  A 9x60 should give almost 49"  sparks
between toroids.  I accounted for the low voltage and thin  wire,
and possible few primary turns.  Otherwise the sparks would
be even longer.
John