Re: [TCML] For the SISG experienced out there

Nice to see such interest in the SISG these days :D

They are really cool!  but I knew it would take some time to catch on.

They are dead quite unit they fire and then they go like all heck. That is somewhat worse in resonant charging systems where the voltage rises when firing starts. But you get used to it :)

For a bridge charging system there really are not any hidden secrets. It just runs like any DC coil. Just run at low power at the very first to get it all setup right.

Piranha

bartb wrote:
Hi James,

Your cap size is very large. Why did you choose to use this size of cap?

Your description of firing is exactly as Phil's. Yes, it does sound "scary". Terry Fritz I think recognized the dangers early on and mentioned it from time to time. It is a dangerous coil in the fact that there are no audible warning signs that power is applied until the Sidac's fire! Certainly a coil that could bite lethally if one is not follow a procedure. But still, just a coil with a gated spark gap in the end.

Take care,
Bart

James wrote:
Hi Bart,
  I have run my SISG coil with 3 MOT's wired sec in series. Ran best on
11 modules (900 volts/transistor). Required the variac to be cranked all
the up to even spark roughly using 12. You tune it for a smooth spark
using the variac. I'm using 16 modules with my 14.4KV 10KW pole xmfr.
This transformer draws about 25A when the coil is operating. Both
current and voltage are controlled. The coil is 6.25" X 32" wound with
#26. 9" X 23" toriod. I'm using 133Nf cap and a flat pri tapped at 8.5
turns. My bridge rectifier is 64 5A diodes (16/string). As per Mark's
schematic, I wound a 23mH choke to protect the bridge. I enjoy playing
with the SISG coil. It's spooky as hell. Nothing happens when you plug
it in, then as you ramp up the voltage, it hits the firing voltage and
off it goes. I'm getting about 7' streamers. James