Re: [TCML] Brand new 34.5kV 10kVA pig for $300 in PA

> --- David Rieben <drieben@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi Aaron, all,
>
> Wow, 34.5 kV, not 34.5 kV Y/ 19.9 kV. Not sure if
> I've
> ever seen a pig rated at JUST 34,500 volts. I
> suppose its
> designed to cross 2 phases of a 19.9 kV, 3-phase
> service.
> 700 lbs. sure seems awfully hefty for a mere 10 kVA,
> though.

If you look at the core and coil weights, it's pretty
clear that much of the 700 lbs is in the oil volume.
This, I'm assuming, is because a 34.5kV pig requires a
lot more clearance between things inside the can.

My local utility, who has sold me pigs in the past,
runs a rather odd 14760/25565Y system.  On one trip, I
saw a brand new 27kV delta pig (double-bushing, and
presumably with taps for 25565) sitting there, and
recalled it being much larger than expected for the
kVA's.  Unfortunately, they didn't have anything used
at that voltage, or I'd have been real tempted!

I'm not sure about running a TC at 34.5kV.  Not a
small one, anyway!  I'll probably be looking for
something else to do with it.

> I might would bite if I didn't have to deal with the
> high freight
> charges of getting it to me. Besides, I already have
> a couple
> of pole pigs, a 150 kV, 600 mA x-ray transformer
> that's been
> modified with pole pig type bushings for it's HV
> output, which
> makes for a wicked Jacob's ladder,
> http://youtube.com/watch?v=0dLTEOM3qQc   (sorry
> about
> the poor image quality) and a dry 15 kVA, 20,000
> volt bom-
> barder transformer, so I'm not really hurting for
> big high voltage
> transformers enough to justify spending that kind of
> money.
> As a matter of fact I just recently sold one of my
> 15 kVA pig
> units.

Nice JL!!

I recently ditched a pig as well, but now I'm going
through withdrawals :-)  My large PT collection just
wasn't enough to sustain me, I guess!

> Maybe one of the PA coilers could work out getting
> this unit
> and forgo the costly freight charges. I do hope that
> some
> coiler can give it a good home and put it to good
> use ;^)
>
> David

Yes indeed!  For a new pig, particularly with these
specs, the price seems ridiculous(-ly good).  Heck,
the price of a new 5kVA 7200V unit is $800+ from most
places.  Before freight!  Ow.

...but hey, if you're gonna ship this sucker, do it
before gas averages $4/gal >:-O

Cheers,
Aaron, N7OE