Re: [TCML] For the SISG experienced out there

Thanks Mark,

I'll be the 3rd to give it a go. One thing I have going for me is that my NST is robust in the current arena, so it can charge a large cap without hesitation. I've decided to try the NST with 4 SISG boards using a 60nF cap size. I'll start using an existing coil (only 4.5" diameter).

Interesting is how high the terminal voltage is in this configuration. The toroid ROC will dictate breakout voltage which is far less than I calc based on potential, but my calc is in the 700 to 800 kVp range (meaning it can charge a top load to this potential if the top load allowed it). Thus, using a large top load is ideal here. So, I'm considering using my 9" x 30" spun toroid on this little coil (similar to what I did with my hybrid maggy).

For a plus, the larger toroid allows an extra turn in the primary (5.5 turns). I think the large toroid vs. coil diameter is going to allow good performance with a smaller cap size (as compared to the norm of SISG's using large cap sizes). That's my hope anyway. I guess first light will tell the tale.

Thanks again,
Bart

Mark R Dunn wrote:
Bart:

Matt and Dan Bodicker have an SISG based NST powered coil.  As far as I
know, they are the only ones to use an NST so far.

Mark

snip
Question: Has anyone ran an NST type transformer (shunts minimized) into an SISG setup (or beyond)? I'm planning on basically an 11kV/200mA NST snip