RE: [TCML] Variac proximity

I believe that power transformers (with the notable exception of Tesla Coils!) are designed to as thoroughly as possible, contain the magnetic fields, lest they couple to unintended things resulting in losses.  Toroidal transformers are particularly good at containing their magnetic fields.  So, you can place anything as close as you like to your Variacs without fear of electrical interaction.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA