Re: [TCML] PFC Question (again)

Hi

On Tuesday 20 May 2008 11:18:04 am David Rieben wrote:

> I have already posted this question once about four days ago
> and as of yet I have not received a single response to it. I am
> going to try posting it once again and see if it blips on anyone's
> radar screen this time araound :^) ...............

1st  What Ed said.

2nd Have you read this?

http://openbookproject.net//electricCircuits/AC/AC_11.html

> Question - can anyone explain these effects

Power factor correction is about resonance. If the current drawn from the
supply was decreasing, that can only mean that the circulating current in the
rest of the circuit had to be increasing. When it started to issue sparks,
that was a load which threw things back out of balance.

> and should I
> only parallel the PFC with the input of the PT only and not
> the main input to the PT and its ballast?

Absolutely not. It is the inductance of the ballast that is working
with?/against? the PFC cap to reduce the current drawn from the source.

> Do PFCs really work
> for non-shunted transformers in SG driven Tesla coil circuits?

Short answer: No.

Longer, though speculative answer:
With proper ballasting power factor correction could work. However with a
variable inductor used as ballast, the power factor correction would have to
vary as well. Not trivial, and probably a lot more trouble than it is worth.
> Thanks in advance for any advice,
> David R.

Sorry not able to help,

deano