Re: [TCML] Javammc question.

Hi Vinnie,

The default is trying to keep up with the 0.02uF desired input. Using 16 caps (2 strings) is less than the .02uF. It's value is 0.01875uF (18.75nF). Note that when you changed the number of caps to 16, the program went up to 3 strings. All you have to do is reduce the "desired capacitance" down a little. I set it to 0.018 and the program then found the 2 x 16 capacitance.

No it's not terrible to use 16 caps. The more caps you use, the greater the standoff voltage. Also, the default numbers are simply default values and not a recommendation. The main thing to keep your eye on is the cap bank standoff voltage and the temperature rise. With the 16 caps, the bank is rated at 32kV. For the 12kV NST, the peak is near 17kV. So, the bank is a little under 2 x Vp which isn't terrible.

I do understand the trouble you had. I've been thinking about simply having cap quantity and string quantity as inputs and get rid of the desired value. This would probably be the simple way to do it. I never did like the desired value approach.

Take care,
Bart

Vinnie wrote:
Hi Guys

I was looking at javammc tonight and placed in my cap vaule. I'm using the CD942C series 0.15uF capacitors and loading the defaults. My coil is a 12,000 volt 60ma with an RQSG. I'm running with two strings of 16 caps. Javammc recommends two strings of 15 for a value of 0.02 uF. I am not that great at math (shame on me) can someone help me figure out the value of my MMC using the two strings of 16? Also is it terrible to use two strings of 16 instead of the recommended 15?

Thanks for your time

Vinnie