Re: [TCML] PFC Question (again)

Hi John,

Yes, I agree. My ballast toroidal core is slotted. This was certainly needed and something I did 10 years ago. It's a 28A Powerstat, but it's easy to go beyond it's capabilities even with a slotted core. These days, I just have a feel for it more than anything else. Kind of why I would like to build a homemade ballast similar to Richie's which is capable of 40A.

Take care,
Bart

In one test I ran a PT powered 600 watt ballasted 120 bps coil.   Using
my homemade ballast the coil drew 600 watts, but using a 20  amp
variac as a ballast, the coil drew 1200 watts.  That's when Dr.  Resonance
suggested cutting a slot in the variac to prevent saturation of the  core.
I think with STR operation the slotting may not quite as  important?  It
may be very important at 120 bps.  (I'm not sure if every 120 bps  coil will
behave the same in this sense.)  Slotting seemed to be very  much needed
because only a few turns of the variac were needed at 120 bps. Cheers,
John