[TCML] Q

Hi DC,

Streamer capacitance is not part of the top load object geometry. I tried to do this in the past (in various ways), but was unable to match a streamer load with the existing top load objects available. When it comes to streamer loading, this is where "tuning" a coil is in the hands of the experimenter. I run high on primary inductance myself. I suspect most do. Javatc will give you the tuning as based on everything except the streamers. For some coils, the effect is small and negligible. For moderately higher powered coils, the effect can be significant. Transformer power has everything to do with this.

There was a time (a year or two ago) that I realized Javatc was one step away from tuning the coil based on the predicted streamer lengths. But what hindered my ability to add this was the fact that Javatc's core LC engine is Geotc of which I do not have control of nor do I have the programming skills to build upon it. All top load objects are dimensioned center to the coil. What really needs to happen to incorporate this is to have the ability to insert a top load object (rod representing a streamer arc) that issues from edge of toroid out to some length as proposed by the system max power or whatever. I can make all that happen, but the the Geotc portion I can't.

I tried using the existing objects to accomplish this but I was never satisfied with the results. For example, half a streamer on both sides of a toroid is "not' linear to a single streamer on one side. Once I realized this, I knew I needed Paul Nicholson. I wrote an email to Paul for the implementation of this into Geotc, but at the time he wasn't getting my emails (lost in cyberspace I think). Paul also hates JavaScript more than I do (no, I don't think so!), so likely this can't be done unless I can figure a method to use existing objects. I have only at my disposal toroids, spheres, cylinders, and discs. All of these I can configure into a "rod" shape, however, they all implement out on both sides from the center of the coil and that is my problem. I couldn't find my happy spot and eventually got busy with other things never to resolve this situation. I still long to do it.

For now, tuning is a close ballpark (and closer for lower powered coils than larger powered coils which have longer spark lengths). But even this is not linear. Coil geometry is part of how much the streamers will affect tuning. Some very little, others more.

Thanks for asking this question DC! There are actually many of these type of issues very few even think about which I've already considered and tried. In the end, I have to ensure Javatc performs as needed, and in areas that I just can't control, I'm hindered to implement. I don't like to rely on theory for Javatc. For example, SecQ and Sec Rac. It's not theoretical output but a large number of various coil configurations (real coils) and top of the line measurements which enabled this output to become active. If it wasn't for the large number of empirical data which Malcolm Watts provided me, I would not have included it. But since Malcolm did give excellent top of the line measurement data, and because I was also able to include other coilers various measurements into the mix, the data was really excellent. I did have to perform some factors into the low hd coils (1:1, 1.5:1, etc.) to follow the curve, but this was needed. Q basic calculation was based on Fraga, Padros, and Chen "Practical Method and Calculation of AC Resistance of Long Solenoids", IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 34, No. 1, January, 1998, pp. 205-212. They did not include low h/d coils. So, curve fitting was needed for those small h/d's. In the end, the measurement comparison to Javatc is graphed here:
http://www.classictesla.com/temp/RAC-Q2.gif

In the area of Q, Javatc did very well considering these were "measured" comparisons. Thus, I decided to include it into Javatc following evaluation. It certainly got you in the ballpark of Q, and even the low h/d areas did well. Thus, I was able to provide a somewhat decent prediction of Q for a decent range of coil h/d's. This has never been done before in any program, so it was a good enhancement for Javatc and the TCML. Not sure they all realize the work involved, but it's available now regardless.

I hope someday we can include spark loading. I'll keep working on it.

Take care,
Bart

DC Cox wrote:
Which brings to mind a question.

Bart --- do you account for streamer length in JAVATC, ie, do you add some
topload capacitance to give the best pri configuration based on added
streamer capacitance, or does it just do distributed capacitance and topload
capacitance in the calc?

Dr. Resonance

On Tue, May 27, 2008 at 12:11 PM, b alex pettit jr <a_pettit_jr@xxxxxxxxx>