Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2008 10:58 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Climbing Arcs

I have a 20's vintage X ray transformer, oil filled and weighs about 300 pounds. It has a built in reactance coil. It runs on 220V On 110, I could produce a very HOT Jacob's ladder with the peak being about 10" apart and the inverted V or the arc was over 8" tall.
I used coat hanger rods and it made a beautiful display.
I tried some larger dia tubing and the arc would not travel the full length. A lot of times it would stop part way up and the arc would remain stationary. I had to fan it with some paper to get the arc moving again.

Conduit is not a good choice for another reason, it is usually galvanized and the arc will burn the coating releasing zinc fumes which are quite toxic.
Frank