RE: [TCML] bipolar coil

I ended up going with the primaries in parallel. Here's some video of first light today after about a half hour of tuning. http://www.vimeo.com/1093993

I went with 9000V 90mA and .0681uf cap. Primary tapped at about 3.5 turns.

S&JY <youngs@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: Hi Kris,

For spark gap coils, I suggest the primaries should be connected in series,
not parallel.  This gives higher primary impedance, meaning it will absorb
more energy and less will be wasted in the spark gap and connecting wires.
The primary cap value for series connected primaries will be half that of a
single primary.

Tuning the primaries takes a bit more effort than for one primary.  One must
adjust two taps, keeping the number of turns in each primary the same.  But
it's worth it - a twin coil will produce up to 40% longer streamers than a
single coil for the same power input.

--Steve Y.