Re: [TCML] Wire Gauge

Hi Scot, Greg, all,

snip....

----- Original Message ----- From: "bunnykiller" <bunnikillr@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2008 10:27 PM
Subject: Re: [TCML] Wire Gauge

Hey Greg...

do you plan to go no further than 40A on 240VAC?? If not, your choice of 8AWG should be fine for 100" between current and load. Altho.... considering the fact that most people who do coils ALWAYS seem to want to upgrade the load ( bigger coil, more power)...think about future applications.... I would go with the 6 or even a 4 THHN stranded COPPER ( yes its pricey now) but replacing the 8AWG later with a 4AWG is even more costly.... how do I know?? cause I did it.... went from an 8 to a 4 to cover the current requirements the piggie needed....

Scot D

Amen to that. It seems that there are very few coilers that are
indefinitely satisfied with the 18" or 24" sparks from their "first"
OBIT or NST driven coil! Almost all will eventually want to
"upgrade" several times ;^)) I know I did!

G Hunter wrote:

For an outdoor 240vac/40A hookup, is 8AWG big enough, or should I go with 6AWG? The cable run will be roughly 100'.

Thx,

Greg

David Rieben