Re: [TCML] RANDTRONICS Transformer

Hi

I have a transformer with core size approx. 5.5" x 6.25" x 2.5" that has output
of 36V at 30A or 1080VA. It was from a golf cart battery charger, so has
shunts. Yours should be good for 1.5 to 2 kVA as a transformer with a core that
size.

As a choke, using #8 THHN, you could only get about 100 turns into that winding
window.  Just a guess on my part, but I would expect the core to start
saturating around 100 to 120 Volts across the coil with no gap between the E
and I parts.   With a gap, depending on how wide it is, the saturation point
will of course be higher, and not likely to be a problem, though the wider the
gap the lower the inductance and the more current will flow. #8 THHN is rated
for 55A in conduit, But in a close wound configuration it would need to be
derated to account for the temperature rise. Ultimately the limiting factor for
the current is heat buildup in the wire.

Is this the same transformer as in this thread?
http://www.pupman.com/listarchives/2001/August/msg00224.html

later
deano