Re: [TCML] OBIT Questions

Hey Jay...

Since Tar/Asphalt is the base derivative of crude oil, seems that any higher refined fluid from oil would be a slovent. Things like gasoline, kerosine, napthelene would remove or soften the tar/asphalt. Mineral spirits( paint thinner for oil based paints) will work also. But if you have the opportunity to get ahold of some carbon tetrachloride ( dry cleaning fluid) that will work very quickly ( fumes are nearly toxic and sufficating , oxygen displacement) use in well ventilated area ( like outside).

Soaking in mineral spirits for a few days should soften things up quite well but will make things "goopy" and messy to boot. Seems to turn the tar into a slime, which is magically attracted to everything within 3 feet... ;)

Scot D

jhowson4@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Haha another Jay. H.  Awsome. But now I have to type my whole name.  =)

I have tried to peel off the thin metal case before but with no success.  Just a big tar mess. I have 2 dead ones that have been sitting on the table for a while so maybe I will start trying non-destructivly unpot those.
What type a solvent would be good for dissolving tar?
Thanks,
Jay Howson  =)