[TCML] Self ballasting transformers

hi all,

I have a question regarding the self-current-limitting transformers that are used in most old appliances.
It would seem that they have no shunts at all, and the only way they ballast themselves is with a large number of primary turns.
To clarify, the transformers i'm talking about are those little <100watt ones that powered stuff like DVD players etc. before switching psu's took
over.
But how does it work?
Another thing, when i put a new secondry on one such xfrmr after extending the core (by using 2 E sections back to back instead of the usual E I
construction), the current limiting no longer worked as well and i could draw more power out of it than it was rated for.
so, how do these xfrmrs self-limit, and how does the core extension affect it?