RE: [TCML] Primary angles

I'm not sure there's any reason to use any primary geometry other than a flat one, regardless of secondary size or power.  It may seem that there's some efficiency to using a conical primary - that it somehow "focuses" or directs the primary energy towards the secondary more effectively than a flat primary does.  But it doesn't.  All that matters is achieving the correct (not too high, and not too low) pri-sec coupling, and this is equally attainable with a primary of any shape, simply by adjusting the vertical relationship between the two coils.  One just needs to choose a mechanical design that will allow for this adjustment, at the onset of the project.

Using a steep conical primary may result in having the top of the primary within striking distance of the topload, and a helical (cylindrical) primary may result in overcoupling.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA