Re: [TCML] Life Magazine historic photo archive

 Years back, since removed (a pox on them   8)>>)
 Smithsonian Inst in DC had a hugish 'real lab' vdG.
 Accompanying text mentioned that van de Graaff developed
 his design as 'an easier to control' alternative to
 Tesla type HV supplies.   As to which machine: pix have
 dates, dunno who, but there must be life issues/microfilmed
 somewhere.

  best
   dwp"

	It would appear that they were off base on this one, as they often are [at least used to be] with things Tesla.  The VdG generator is a high-voltage DC device, unlike the TC which is an impulsive high-voltage RF device.  Totally different devices.  To get DC from a Tesla coil would require a high-voltage rectifier and I'm not aware that was ever done in serious physics work.  The VdG is easier to control - the charging voltage for the belt can be made adjustable.   I can't see the devices competing for anything.

Ed