Re: [TCML] rotary gap disk

In a message dated 11/30/08 3:37:44 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
jhowson4@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>One step ahead of you.  I got a big chunk of 1/8 steel sheet  from a
dumpster that I am going to >enclose the whole thing in.   Horray for construction at
my college.
>I am planning on putting the  whole thing in a wooden frame with the steel
protecting me from it flying  >apart.  And using the extra lexan as insulators
where the HV needs to  go through the steel.

Sounds good - it'll block light and noise from  the rotary as well. Just
remember to space your primary a reasonable distance  from the heavy steel box.

>Also I want to make a frequency controller for the motor. Any one  have an
easy to make circuit >diagram for such a  thing.

    If you have an existing single phase motor with a  start winding and/or
cap with a centrifugal switch, it would be impractical  to vary the speed
significantly. If it's a brushed "universal motor" or a DC  motor, speed control
can be as simple as a Variac or light dimmer.

    If it's a 3-phase motor, you can find various small  VFD's on eBay for
around $50. Some run on 115VAC, and output  230VAC 3-phase.

    If you're really ambitious, I've got a box of 230  VAC 2HP VFD boards I
got from a fellow TCML member a few years ago. I'll pass  them along to you,
and you can spend a bit of time trying to bypass  the firmware on the DSP or
hacking your own to drive the power module...

-Phil LaBudde
Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities
AOL.com.