Re: [TCML] Strike rail hits and loud bangs - video uploaded

Part of the Terry Filter is the safety gap. This part of the filter is simply a safety gap (and nothing more, so the same physics apply). And as with any safety gap, you must evaluate it for that specific purpose. Electrode radius, curvature, smoothness, gap distances, size, etc... are all part of when this safety gap will become active with the voltages it comes across.

Do you have a photo of it? In some cases, coilers can see the problem right away, and in other cases, it's normally matter of gap distance. In either case, the main "gap" tells most of the story of why a safety gap is firing too often. But both must be evaluated for a "meaningful" diagnosis.

Take care,
Bart

DC Cox wrote:
The loud bangs across the Terry filter are caused by the main cap's energy
firing across a very low inductance load instead of going thru the primary
where the
energy is coupled into the sec coil.  This, from a mechanical standpoint, is
like putting your auto in neutral and then depressing the gas pedel to the
floor.  Lots of
energy going nowhere and is extremely hard on the caps.

You may consider tuning for more inductance to aleviate the problem.

Dr. Resonance