From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of bartb
Sent: 07 October 2008 01:45
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] MMC building - some questions

Hi Thomas,

Ok, so a 6/30 NST.

DC's recommendation of 1.4 x Cres I agree with (it's what I use). With
your transformer Cres value, you do want .01875uF for the tank
capacitance.

Two practical ways to get there with your caps.
a) 1 string of 8 caps.
b) 2 strings of 16 caps.

Because your NST is low voltage with a Vp of 8,485 volts, you could go
with 1 string of 8 and your cap will be rated at nearly 2 x Vp which is
decent and poses no problem in your particular case. The temp rise
however is up to 0.712 per deg C which is starting to get high, but
doable.

The 2 string of 16 is extremely over rated for the transformer (nearly 4

x Vp), but that's ok. Temp rise is down to .178 per deg C (so basically
running "ice cold").

DC is correct about the selection for a robust MMC. I think the 1 x 8 is

doable in your particular case, but I think if I were you, I would also
probably go with 2 x 16 array to keep the power dissipation down (but
only for that particular reason).

Take care,
Bart

Thomas Ryckmans wrote:
> 30 mA only :-(

Behalf
> Of bartb
> Sent: 05 October 2008 19:34
> To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
> Subject: Re: [TCML] MMC building - some questions
>
> Hi Thomas,
>
> For a 6kV NST, 16 caps may be overboard. DC did not know your
> transformer voltage and this would certainly change the MMC design.
What