[TCML] Coil winding - cheap turn counter

Here's a picture of the coil winder we built:

http://www.stephenhobley.com/coilwinder.jpg <http://www.stephenhobley.com/coilwinder.jpg>

I just did 1308 turns of #30 wire on a 3.5" form. We used a stepper motor controller (K179) which worked out cheaper than a PWM controller for a DC motor. There are controls for speed, direction, and a footswitch to start turning.

The little box at the bottom of the picture (with 1308 on it) is a counter from an exercise machine. It has a mercury tilt switch in it and can be attached to the form or axle and every rotation it increments the count.

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/EX-59/EXERCISE-COUNTER/TIMER-W/-MERCURY-SWITCH/-/1.html <http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/EX-59/EXERCISE-COUNTER/TIMER-W/-MERCURY-SWITCH/-/1.html>

It also tells you time spent winding, and calories burned while winding - always good to know.

For $2.65 you can't go wrong.

Steve

www.stephenhobley.com
317 201 4281