Re: [TCML] Opening an inspection port on a pole pig

Hi there, David.  I had Westinghouse a few years back with a similar inspection hatch.  It was painted over as well, so I just wrapped some pliers in electrical tape to avoid messing up the paint too badly, then applied a good measure of force ;-)  The thunb screw loosened a crossbeam on the other side of the hole in the lid, which then rotated out of the way, allowing the inspection cover to come off.  Basically, it was a miniature version of the system used to secure the lid on the transformer.  Power Partners, part of ABB, owns the Westinghouse transformer business today, and they still use the same lid system, so if you pull up the documentation on their web site, you'll see what I'm talking about.  I probably did a bad job explaining.

Of course, just because mine worked this way doesn't mean yours will!  I had the same system on an old Line Material Industries unit, too (for the inspection cover, that is).

Cheers,
Aaron, N7OE