RE: [TCML] Which way is better?

Hey Gentlemen Thanks for your answer, I have seen a website somewere saying that parallel was better but anyway I understand series seems to be better.400 Rand here in South Africa is about 40US $
Its a bargain,getting it from the same closing shop I got the first one.I just wish my first one was still working properly because I could of had a 12KV 60ma setup if it was but Ill settle for 30ma.
Thanks Gareth                                                 -----Original Message-----
From: "bunnykiller" <bunnikillr@xxxxxxx>
Sent: 17.10.2008 15:53
Subject: Re: [TCML] Which way is better?

Hey Gareth..

having the cap in paralell with the power supply allows the cap to
discharge thru the secondary windings after the power is turned off even
if the primary lead tap is disconnected for some reason. But if for some
reason the primary lead tap is not connected and power is applied, an
over voltage can occur if the sparkgap isnt functioning properly.  When
the cap is in series with the primary and the spark gap is off or not
functioning well, the chance of over volting the cap is not quite so
prominent due to the primaries inductance and resistance which adds
"some" protection. Also, if the primary lead tap is diconnected while
the power was applied in this set up, the cap can hold a charge long
enuf to bite you!

Where are you considering on purchasing your NST from???   400$ is way
too much money for a 12KV unit, more like 100-150$ for a new one.

Scot D