Re: [TCML] Rotory STATIC Gap

Excellent interpretation of the gap!

You bring up an interesting point: If the stationary electrodes were on opposite sides, would it basically arc across the rim of the disc? It could certainly do that if the creepage distance from one stationary to the other was within arc distance. But that's easily prevented. Imagine if he used a 2.5" electrode in length with a 1/2" disc width. He would end up with 1" of electrode on each side. Once you add in the 2" of electrode, the distance around the disc, plus the minor distance of the gap spacing, your far better off at not having a problem (assuming the same cap, voltage, tranny, etc..).

I know Scot is now building a new coil and all of this is really moot at this point, but if his retired coil was still "active", then I think he would be much better off with the stationary's on opposite sides (mainly due to the high voltages he uses). It would allow more flexibility with voltage and still able to maintain a nice tight gap distance. The fact is, the up and over (5/8" up, 1/2" across, and down 5/8") all adds up (1.75" just in disc numbers and probably near 4" overall). Makes for a very long distance for overly high voltages. The main issue is distance from the motor case itself, but that can be dealt with regardless of rotor diameter (bigger is of course better).

Take care,
Bart

David Rieben wrote:
Scot is also proposing placement of the conductive ring that electrically joins the flying electrodes on the opposite side of the rotary disc from the two sta- tionary electrodes, as opposed to the same side in his currcent setup, to further seperate the concustive ring of the disc from the stationary electrodes by at least the thickness of the rotary disc itself. However, I would think that if the primary circuit voltage is jumping the 2.2" clearance at 75% on the variac knob, it would probably just jump the extra 1/2" around the edge of the disc once the variac knob
is turned on up to 90% or more.

Wow, Scot, I didn't know you had this much voltage rise in your primary circuit! I'd have to agree with Gary here in that I'm surprised that your coil fired flawless-
ly for 9 years without a breakdown running in this fashion.