[TCML] Noxiuos fumes from high powered arc/JL

Hi all,

I'm sure others have ran into this issue but I thought that
I would bring it up to alert relative newcomers and to re-
fresh the memories of us "old salts". As most of us are
already aware, the production of ozone (O3), along with
various nitrogen oxides, can become rather copius during
operation of Tesla coils, especially the smaller to medi-
um sized SGTCs or DRSSTCs. Without proper ventil-
lation, these gases can quickly reach toxic levels. From
my personal experience, the distinctive O3 odor seems to
actually become less noticable with higher powered SG
driven coils where the ground striking arcs become more
and more numerous and start to take on more power arc
characteristics than the typical purplish blue corona and
streamers. However, I never really gave much thought
to excessive toxic gas production in an improperly ventillated
area while just running or making large 60 hz. power arcs, like
in a large Jacob's ladder. Sure enough though, today while I
was playing around with my beloved 150 kvp, 600 mA x-ray
transformer, making some impressive power arcs, I began
to notice asthma-like symptoms with my breathing (and
I don't have asthma) and began to cough rather uncontrol-
ably. Funny thing was that I really couldn't smell any
O3 but I still got that feeling of inhaling too much O3.
Once I moved outdoors to fresh air, the symptoms went
away pretty promptly. I'm assuming that any electric
arc is going to produce some NOs, even though they may
not always have a detectable odor. It seems that it takes
longer to get over these symptoms after moving to fresh
air when the distinctive sharp odor of O3 is noted than it
did with today's "odorless" experience, though. Anyone
else have any more light to shead on this thread?

David Rieben