Re: [TCML] Soldering SISG heat sinks

In a message dated 10/30/08 8:54:22 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
bob.johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>am having an awful time trying to solder the heat  sinks to the board....
Is there a trick
>to this besides getting  some huge wattage soldering iron?

    I'm sure you had read the TCML before embarking on  this project, but as
a reminder here's my post from February::

_www.pupman.com/listarchives/2008/Feb/msg00042.html_
(http://www.pupman.com/listarchives/2008/Feb/msg00042.html)

***************************
 Here's my SISG tips:

1. "Maxclips" for mounting the IGBTs work  fine. I mounted the heatsinks to
the board, then put compound on the  IGBTs and heatsinks, then dropped the
IGBTs
into place on the board, then  screwed on the clip, then went back and
soldered  the IGBTs in. I  figured this way, everything was in a happy
clamped
position  before it  got soldered solid.

[snip]

4. I put everything  together with a 140W soldering gun. I never understood
the "use a  low-wattage iron with heat-sensitive components" theory. I have
more
luck  blasting it quickly, before the heat has time to spread up the   lead...

-Phil LaBudde

Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities
5 Travel Deals!