Re: [TCML] apple green glow

Generally speaking, X ray production is considered to possibly occur above 15KV.

X rays do not need to strike an anode to be generated.
The first Xray tube was a Crookes Maltese cross tube, the anode and cathode were perpendicular to each other with the cathode actually recessed in a glass stem. The tube was originally built to demonstrate that cathode rays travel in a straight line in high vacuums.
It made X ray pictures and could cause burns if exposed to it long enough.
Roentgen discovered this by a glowing screen some few feet away from such a tube in operation.

Similar tubes, such as the Crookes focus tube, the high pressure tube and a high pressure Geissler tube generate X rays just to name a few.

Perhaps one of the most famous X ray tubes was the Lenard's tube. Again, there was no collision of electrons against a target to produce X rays. You can build an X ray tube just by exciting a radio tube with a Tesla coil and it will produce enough X rays to make X ray photographs.

There is a modern X ray machine for NDT testing that used about 100KV and a modern cold cathode Lenard's tube for weld inspections. I have such a machine as well as a single element reproduction of a Tesla X ray tube.

The green glow is the glass fluorescing by bombardment with X rays.

Brian, no, regular soft or hard glass will not block the X rays. If this were the case, there would be no X rays created by a regular X ray tube.

The X ray produced by such a tube as the one Kurt has or what you might expect with an "unfocused" tube one might find today are no threat if you see that green glow. Yes, there is radiation produced but it is so diffused and weak, exposure would have to in terms of days and days before any harm could start.
If you still had a radium hand watch, you would be more at risk.

The first color televisions used around 25-35KV and X rays were observed in the flyback/ HV rectifier section of the set. Hence the warning on some of the later tube sets in the flyback section. The actual CRT posed no danger and I am unaware of the face ever being leaded glass. Yes it was thick but this was to protect from implosion and glass dangers.

Frank