Re: [TCML] Installing dedicated lines

Hey Steve...

when planning on wiring capacity for piggies, first check what the whole house feeder line is rated for. Older homes usually have 100 amp feeders ( before the advent of central AC). Generally, homes built after the 70's have 200 amp feeder lines ( which usually means the distribution trannie on the pole is bigger than 15KVA) and can pretty much handle a tesla coil pig supply. As far as the in home wiring for the piggie, best to either have a separate box fed from the main box with its own circuit breaker and wired with 4-6 ga. wire or come off the main fuse to a disconnect to the piggie. Piggies can pull up to 75 amps easily!! I have mine limited to 60 amps to keep the rest of the neighborhood happy. When it comes to protecting your sensitive electronics... Corcom line filters ( big ones) seem to keep most of the trash out of the home, BUT its not going to stop all of it.... A good RF ground system will also add to protecting in home stuff... best bet to protect sensitive electronics, unplug them, turn off the breaker or fuse to them etc...

Scot D

shobley@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:

I was wondering about the options for installing dedicated power outlets
for running Tesla coils. If we outgrow the NSTs and start to research the Pole Pigs what would be a sensible thing to do about AC line power?
I want to be as neighborhood friendly as possible, and protect my home
appliances too.

Steve