From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf
Of Lau, Gary
Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2008 11:35 AM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: RE: [TCML] pole pig protection

It's true that the choke's impedance increases with frequency, but the same
is true for the HV winding.  Their impedances BOTH scale identically with
frequency, so the division ratio is a constant, regardless of frequency.

I don't know the specific numbers for a pole pig, but for a 15/60 NST, the
secondary leakage inductance is in that ballpark.  I'm struggling at the
moment to locate the specific numbers, but was in the thousands of Henries,
and this value sat well with the numerous simulations that Terry and I did.
What I can't resolve just now is the several thousand Hy figure, vs. a value
of 663 Hy, which would achieve mains-resonance with a 10.8nF tank cap (the
60 Hz mains-resonant value cap for a 15/60 NST).

I had assumed that a pig's HV winding inductance would be at least that of
the NST's.  As my familiarity with pigs is not great, I can't say this with
conviction, and any corrections are welcome.  But I do feel confident that
its inductance is orders of magnitude greater than a choke, and that any
voltage division between an air-core choke and the iron-core HV winding
would be insignificant.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA

RF
> choke's impedance increases with frequency (hence a low pass action) also
> am fairly certain the inductance of the HV winding is not 1000 henries.
In
> fact, the impedance at the HV winding should be the impedance at the low
> voltage input times the turn ratio (1/65).  This of course is going to be
> the source impedance plus the ballast impedance.

Have