RE: [TCML] Energy coupling

The testing at 9V only served to find the equivalent resistance (ESR) added to the primary circuit, which represents the losses incurred by the presence of the stuff.  The ESR is independent of operating or testing voltage.  Knowing what the incremental loss resistance in the primary circuit is, I plugged that into a circuit simulator that calculated the power dissipated in that resistance, operating with actual voltage and current waveforms appropriate for my coil using a 15/60 NST.

If your coil ran with higher tank currents, then your losses would be higher too (proportional to current-squared and is why high voltage and high inductance tank circuits are favored).  But the same is true for any loss mechanism.  The goal is simply (!) to identify and minimize losses, which can all be represented as a tank circuit ESR.  I'm not sure that the cap value directly affects losses, but may affect tank current so will affect losses indirectly.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA