Re: [TCML] Building an 833C VTTC

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 10:52 PM, Rich Simpson <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Just to pipe in of the subjects of 833C Coils (seem to be popular all of a
> sudden)
>
> I am in the slow "parts acquiring"  phase of on based on the steve ward
> design...
> Just thought that before I built it, I should make sure I have it right
>
> So far I have:
> 22A 120V variac (with volt/amp meters)
> 1200W 2100V MOT, shunts removed, submerged in oil...
> 2x1.05 uf Microwave caps (I assume that is close enough to the 2uf he
> recomends) plus diodes, and bypass caps for the level shifter
> 2x 2000pf ceramic doorknob caps (TDK UHV-9AT) one for the tank, one for the
> grid-leak cap...
> 2x 5kohm 225W adjustable wirewound resistors in series for the grid leak
> (they are like a foot long each!)
> 833C tube with socket, bypass cap, etc...
> 6"x1.75" spun aluminum toroid
> 1500' 26awg magnet wire
> misc fuses, switches, etc
> 3"id pvc pipe for secondary
> 6"id pvc pipe for primary
> resistor, and wire for the choke
> other misc wire
>
> I have a few questions though...
> can I use 23awg instead of the 24 he suggested for the feedback coil? I ask
> as I have 10lbs of 23awg, and no 24awg, what else would I need to change?

That should work fine.

> I have 2 EMI power filters, one is 20A rated, one 30A, not sure if useful,
> or needed? I can give the specs for them if that matters much.... do they
> even help at 400khz?

I don't run an EMI filter on my coil, and I run my coil in an apartment.  I
haven't had any problems with the VTTC causing interference or frying
anything.  If you already have the EMI filters though use them, it can't
hurt.

> I know for spark gap coils, you need a separate rf ground, is this also
> true with vttc coils? can I use the mains ground for for this to be a
> portable coil? or is this a really bad idea? and how would this relate to
> steve's schematic?

I use the house ground, and I know many others do with no problems.  Tube
coils have very clean output compared to a SG coil.