Re: [TCML] Tube question

	You've never mentioned how much grid current you're running and that might give you a clue to whether you have enough grid drive with the newer tube.  [Never have mentioned plate current either and both are of importance.]  As for emission, boosting the filament voltage a volt might result in big improvements without reducing life to the point where you'd notice it, considering how many hours you're likely to run the setup.  The fact that the carbon anode wasn't showing more than a "dull glow" suggests you could use more grid drive.  What size grid resistor are you using?

Ed

"Hi David,

I don't have much experience with the 833C.  I did try replacing
the 833A's in my 24" spark VTTC using the 833C's, and the
spark was the same length.  I also experimented using one
833C in place of the two 833A's and the spark was still the
same length (maybe 1" shorter).  I didn't make any changes
to the circuit.

I remember Tony DeAngelis telling me that he bought a
new 833C tube and got only 16" sparks.  Then he bought
another 833C tube of a different brand and got 22" sparks.
He's not sure if the first tube was defective, or had
different characteristics, etc.

I don't know if the breaking in of the tube will actually
help the spark length.  I thought the breaking in was
to help absorb any left over gas in the tube before
applying peak power and voltages.

John
---