Re: [TCML] pole pigs from Gustav

In a message dated 9/20/08 10:16:39 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
bunnikillr@xxxxxxx writes:

>I checked with the Entergy employee after reading this email. I  asked

>what the company does with the damaged piggies. They throw them  away...

>not recycled, not melted down for scrap metal, not referbished,  just

>simply thrown away.

    The power company is almost certainly not going  to leave a dead pig
sitting on the ground indefinitely, even if it's on  their own easement (too ugly,
possibility of a bad pig leaking oil).
    Even if they throw them away in a landfill, I'd  bet they'd either
transport them there themselves, or contract to have them  hauled there. The local
waste authority isn't going to just throw them in the  back of a residential
garbage truck, and I doubt they make adapters for  "dumpster-grabber" trucks to
pick up pigs.
    And if they were destined for a landfill, I can't  believe the power
company would let them go without first thoroughly draining  them of oil. Imagine
the liability the power company would assume, with the  possibility of PCBs
going into a municipal landfill!

    If they really *are* just throwing pigs  away, it might be worthwhile to
track down their final destination. Maybe  you can stake them out, or tail
whoever takes them away. ("Soylent Green is  pole pigs!")  At least then you
could bargain for them before they get  buried/scrapped.

>The costs to "resurect" piggies is not viable. It costs more to do  a total
overhaul on a piggie than to >buy a new one. Plus it gives the  company an
opportunity to replace old units with new  ones.

    Here in Virginia, Dominion Energy has had a  dedicated, centralized,
transformer rebuild facility for years.

    _http://tdworld.com/mag/power_utility_tracks_transformer/_
(http://tdworld.com/mag/power_utility_tracks_transformer/)

-Phil LaBudde
Center for the Advanced Study of Ballistic  Improbabilities