RE: [TCML] DIY Tank Capacitor - Plate configuration confusion

That 942C is a clever approach to achieving certain specs.  It analyzes down
to being two capacitors in series in one casing.   The metalized film serves
as one plate for each capacitor, and it also serves as the connection that
places the two capacitors in series.  There is no "floating" plate as far as
the operation of the capacitor.  The "floater" serves simultaneously as a
plate for each of two capacitors and as the "strap" that connects the two
capacitors.

Dan

http://www.cde.com/catalogs/942C.pdf.  The construction diagram at the very
top illustrates two foil plates at the top.  These are the two terminal
connections.  Below the underlying layer of dielectric is a metallized film,
which acts as a "floating" plate, electrically between the two foil plates.
There is no terminal connection to this film layer.  High current terminal
connections can be made to foil, but not to metallized film.  The floating
plate exists so that the total terminal voltage rating is split between two
series-connected caps, so that neither one exceeds its corona inception
voltage.

Regards, Gary Lau
MA, USA