Re: [TCML] Tesla Coil w/Cell Phone Trigger - Suggestions Needed!

Gabriel Ritter wrote:
Hello,

We are trying to use a cell phone as a Tesla Coil trigger (when the phone
rings, the coil discharges) and were wondering if anyone had suggestions on
how to integrate the cell phone with the following solid state coil:

http://www.geocities.com/tom_headoflead/drsstc.html

There's a fair amount of literature out there on using a cell phone to trigger, e.g., a improvised explosive device, that google will find.

One way that's obvious is to detect the ringing signal. For instance, some phones light up when an incoming call is detected. Others send the ring sound through the headphones, where you could use a simple audio threshold detector sort of circuit.

If you want to get fancier, there are schemes where the phone autoanswers (some phones can do this automatically, as a sort of quasi PTT functionality). Then you feed the receive audio to a detector (by hooking up to the headset jack)

There was an article recently about someone using cellphones to remote control their house. I don't recall where I saw it.