From: tesla-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx on behalf of DC Cox
Sent: Sun 9/28/2008 7:45 PM
To: Tesla Coil Mailing List
Subject: Re: [TCML] New pic of 60ma coil with suggestions applied

Overcoupling is the usual suspect for racing sparks.  Keep your k value in
the range of 0.10 to 0.14 for most spark excited coils for good performance
without racing sparks.  Also sometimes caused by standing waves due to poor
quenching.   This is true especially if your toroid size is
less than 2 x sec coilform dia.

Be careful if you increase coupling too tight as this may put you back in
racing spark land.

Dr. Resonance