Re: [TCML] VTTC-tuning. John got me started ;-)

Dex,

VTTC's don't seem to show much growth in spark length from
60Hz pulse to next 60Hz pulse.   I use the formula:

 Spark length (inches) = 0.5*sqrt input power (watts wallplug)

This assumes steady raw AC operation on 60Hz, not staccato,
nor DC input power.

Using a much larger rather than smaller toroid doesn't seem to improve
the spark lengths for VTTCs.

My coil which had a 3" x 12" secondary wound with 28 awg wire
seemed to work well at 2000 watts for 24" sparks. Also Steve Ward's 4" x 15"
secondary worked well with the 26 awg wire he used.  I forget what
his maximam wattage was.  I think he got up to 26" sparks or so.
Others eventually got longer sparks perhaps at 30 PPS staccato rate.

John